30 January 2010

Kefir Whole Wheat Bread


My bread may not look yummy but it tastes yummy. I soak my grains the night before in kefir and the next day I add the rest of the ingredients. I didn't always do this but my oh my it makes for a great, fluffy and light loaf of bread. Nothing like my former "brick bread" as my hubby called it. I find that to be true with all my whole grain baked goods. Soaking it just changes everything and you would never believe it until you try it. Try it once with a muffin recipe once, you'll never go back. Soaking the grains for at least 12 hours pre-digest the hard proteins in the grain making it easier on our tummies. BUT, shaping a loaf of bread as you can tell is NOT my strong suit. Even after years and years of making bread I've still not figured it out. Normally, I shape the dough into large balls and flatten them right before putting into the oven but lately I've been trying to make a loaf again. Maybe all I need is another 20 years of practice and I'll get it right. Here is the recipe I normally use.

Night before take 4 cups whole grain flour, add 1-2 cups kefir, yogurt, or buttermilk, plus one stick of melted butter. Mix well and sit in warm place overnight. Next day, dissolve 2 T. yeast in 1/4 C. warm water. To flour mixture add the yeast, 2T. or more of honey, 1/2 t. baking soda, 1 t. salt and enough unbleached white flour to make a nice dough. Rise until double, punch down and shape and rise for another 20 minutes. Bake in 350 degree oven for 20 minutes. When finished spread butter over crust and cover with cloth until cool.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

My son can't have wheat or dairy, but I am wondering if sprouted or soaked wheat would work for him. I might try your recipe and see if he could eat it without causing problems. The gluten free bread is gross.

Kathy@theshebearofeleven said...

I will definitely be trying this recipe. Your loaves look good to me, you don't need 20 more years of practice! I have an artisan bread recipe that I'm posting, soon, but yours sounds healthier. By the way, I tried your easy granola recipe and I love it and now have my married daughters and friends enjoying it, too.

Followers