02 July 2012

Canning butter

I have been wanting to can butter for a long time and now I can say that I've pulled it off. You can google 'canning butter' and find many ways in which to do it. I began with 11 pounds of butter. (photo shows 12 but I only used 11 for 12 pint jars) HERE are the perfect directions!

I very slowly melted them until nearly boiling.

There is a white layer of foam that will appear on the top when it reaches the boiling point and this I skimmed off and set aside to put in the fridge for later use or you can pour it back in and stir it down. It didn't want to stir down well so I just kept it separate.

I took 12 pint jars and placed in the oven on 250 for 20 minutes before filling them. The seals I boiled and kept hot. I then ladled the hot butter into the jars and let sit until the lids began to pop. At this point I shake the warming jars every 15 minutes to keep it from separating until it consistently seems not to separate. At this point put in fridge for 24 hours until it solidifies and then they can be stored on your pantry shelf for up to 3 years!




4 comments:

dggp said...

I have a friend who has done this for as long as I can remember. I've tasted it and you would never know. Someday I'll give it a try.

Becca said...

Wow! Seriously? Who knew!!! Did you put the jars in the oven to purify them or to heat them for another reason? Just curious! You continue to amaze me!!

Anonymous said...

I have never heard of canning butter. I learning something new every day :) I may just do this. Right now, I am freezing my butter.

Wendy said...

I never ever would have thought about canning butter! Now I'm going to have to try it! My sister and I like to make can fruits and veggies, so now we'll have to add butter to our list. :) Thanks for including the directions. I'm going to join your site as a GFC follower, and then I'm going to call my sister....

Blessings!

Wendy

Followers