06 March 2011

Sourdough starter and sourdough bread


I would like to share our recipe for our starter and for the bread. Also, try making cinnamon rolls from the bread dough!! You will be amazed.

Sourdough starter:

3 packages active dry yeast
1 C. warm water

Starter feed:

3/4 C. sugar
3 T. instant potatoes
1 C. warm water

To make the starter: Mix the yeast and warm water. Put into a glass container, place lid on and put into fridge for 3-5 days.

To make the starter feed: Combine sugar, potatoes, and water in bowl and stir into the starter. Cover loosely and stand at room temp. for 5-12 hours. Mixture will be bubbly. Take out 1 C. to make bread and loosely cover the starter and return it to the fridge. Feed again after 3-5 days. If not making bread after feeding the starter, throw away one cup to avoid depleting the starter. Lid should not be placed on tight.

Sourdough bread:

2 T. sugar
1/2 C. olive oil
1 teas. salt
1 1/2 C. warm water
6 C. flour
1 C. sourdough starter
3 t. butter, melted

Combine sugar, oil, salt, water, flour, and starter in a large bowl. Stir to make a dough. Form the dough in a ball. Grease a large bowl and put the dough in it and turn to coat. Cover with towel and let stand overnight.

In the morning, punch dough down and divide into thirds. Knead each part on floured surface for about 5 minutes. Grease bread pans and place shaped loaves into each. Let rise 4-5 hours. Bake in 350 oven about 30-35 minutes. After removing from pans smear with butter and cover until cool.

9 comments:

Tammy said...

Have you tried this recipe with whole wheat flour? I try to use w wheat so was curious about it.
Enjoy your blog!

Kim said...

Can't wait to try it! Hubby loves sourdough bread!!

Laura said...

We have looked for a good started for years...THANKS for posting this one!!!! We'll be trying it!
Laura

Anonymous said...

I've never made sourdough bread. This sounds like a recipe I can handle. I might give it a try.

Question: Instant potatoes as in the ones in the box, right?

-Lady Rose

laurie said...

I have been using this bread starter for at least 18 years now. just kept it fed and make a lot of bread. I have never made it with olive oil though. The kids love this bread.

momoflots said...

Mmmmm - one I will have to put into my bread box!!!! Looks so yummy!! Thanks for sharing!!! Hope your week is wonderful!!!

Blessings,
Christine

busymomof10 said...

This looks good! I have been wanting to make sourdough bread, because I understand it is the best for you. Have you tried this with fresh whole wheat flour?? Any special brand of potato flakes? I used to make a bread that sounds similar to this one when I was a young bride. I would feed the starter in the morning before work, mix up the bread dough that evening, shape the loaves the next morning and bake it when I got home! :) That is seems a lifetime ago! :)

I can't wait to give this a try!

Unknown said...

I use whole wheat. I found I like using potato pearls best rather than the flakes. Good luck. It is so yummy. A friend of mine is still using the same one she had 18 years ago.

dggp said...

We love sourdough bread. My last batch got ruined and I've not began a new one yet. I think I'll try this one.

Followers