11 March 2011

So, so good for you, whole grain quick bread

It's kind of my own version. So not really an officially written recipe. I've been using Nourishing Traditions methods and recipes for so long now that I take a 'normal' recipe and adapt it to the NT methods. My latest is taking a muffin recipe, adding soaked oatmeal, and baking in bread pans for convenience.

Soak overnight 2 cups oatmeal, 2 C. water with one of the following:
4 T. lemon juice
4 T. whey
4 T. buttermilk, yogurt, or kefir
Stir together and let soak for 12-24 hours

Combine separately 3 C. whole grain flour in one of the following:
2 C. buttermilk, kefir, or yogurt
2 C. water with whey, lemon juice or vinegar
Stir and let sit with oatmeal 12-24 hours

When you are ready to bake take both mixtures above and stir together well.
3 eggs
1 teas. salt
3/4 C. honey
3 teas. baking soda
2 teas. vanilla
5 T. melted butter

Pour into bread pans and bake at 325 for 40-50 minutes or so. Or, you can use the batter for pancakes or waffles which we have done. I just can't imagine how good this is for you! When I grind my grains I use all sorts of things. Spelt, wheat, beans, rice, millet, corn, whatever I have and mix them all together and leave in refrigerator.

3 comments:

Mrs. Stam said...

sounds delicious!!!! I married into a Dutch Bakers family, and I rarely bake bread anymore, hubby does it all day long, but I just might try this :-)

dggp said...

This sounds good. I believe I'll try it.

Erika Shupe said...

Oooh, I am so excited to try this! I was just thinking (and posting) on how much we love home made bread, but I'm desiring more recipes! Yay! I've printed this out and my mouth is watering already... =)
(www.LargeFamiliesOnPurpose.com)

Followers