30 March 2010

A Thought From Thomas Jefferson



"The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government." Thomas Jefferson


Thomas Jefferson never ceases to amaze me. I was thinking about this quote by him and I can't even imagine what his thinking was to even come up with a statement such as this. Imagine that, retaining the right to keep and bear arms to protect ourselves against the tyranny found in our government. Who would have thought? Here are are, hundreds of years later and you can almost "taste" the truth of what he spoke.

He goes on to say~~"Laws that forbid the carrying of arms...disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes. Such laws make things worse for the assaulted and better for the assailants; they serve rather to encourage than prevent homicides, for an unarmed man may be attacked with greater confidence than an armed one." Link HERE

3 comments:

j said...

I have never heard that. So true. We are really possibly facing the tribulation here. Oh may he protect our children and keep them. This is so hard as a parent. If you have any tips on what we can do I would love to hear. Sometimes, I am like what do we do?

Jessica

Anonymous said...

I too am amazed by this man. He certainly did have a vision for our day. I've been reading his works as of late and what an example of a true patriot.

Reece

dggp said...

I think it's very important to remember all the things our founder fathers taught. I agree with the above comment, that they did have a vision for our country and warned and forewarned us on many accounts.

I love this quote along with many others TJ has made.

Followers